Sunday, January 23, 2011

What is Sweeping?

Simply put - Sweeping is the hobby of entering sweepstakes and contests.  I used to have a license plate that said "WIN BIG" when I lived in Connecticut.  People would often stop and ask me if I won the lottery or something.  I would chuckle and then tell them I enter sweepstakes as a hobby.  They would often say "Aren't they scams?  Nobody ever wins those things do they?"

While there are some sweepstakes that are scams (think timeshare companies, unknown travel companies, etc), most sweepstakes that you see on TV, in magazines and on the internet are in fact, very real.  They are usually run by major corporations that are looking to gain market share or spread the word about their products and services.

Over the years I've met many other "sweepers" including one gentleman who has won 7 cars.  A very dear friend of mine has won really great prizes - like a car, $90K cash from Kimberly Clark/Cottonelle, several trips and tons of other prizes.  My own twin sister has won a Harley Davidson and too many prizes to mention. 

It can be a fun hobby with some really fantastic benefits.  My husband and I have won trips to places like Hawaii, Italy, Japan, China, Curacao, etc. - places we might not have been able to travel if we were footing the bill ourselves. 

The best part of this hobby is that you can do it anywhere you have an internet connection.  In the coming days I'll be sharing more information about this wonderful hobby.  Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

1 comment: